Under the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) Regulations employers should undertake the following.
- Read and understand the manufacturer’s information on the substance.
- Carry out a risk assessment on how and where it is to be used.
- Use a less hazardous substance, if available.
- Put in place measures to prevent or control any exposure.
- Make sure you know the controls.
- Monitor to make sure the controls are effective.
If you are exposed to a workplace hazard your employer may ask you to attend regular health surveillance sessions, which you have a legal duty to attend.
Employers can then introduce better controls to prevent any ill health effects from getting worse.