Reporting and recording

Lesson Progress:

You must make sure that any accident or injury you have is reported and recorded in the accident book. Unsafe conditions and near misses should also be reported, so action can be taken to prevent them from becoming an accident. Certain types of serious injury and injuries where an employee, or self-employed person, is off work or unable to perform their normal work duties for more than seven consecutive days, have to be reported by your employer to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

The following details must be recorded in the accident book.

  • The injured person’s name and address.
  • The injured person’s occupation.
  • Date and time of the accident.
  • Where the accident happened.
  • How the accident happened.
  • The injury that was sustained.
  • Details of the person filling in the book (if different from the injured person).

Your employer must keep accident book information secure, as it is confidential. Most accident books have perforated pages, which can be detached and stored in privacy and allow the injured person to have a copy of their individual information.