Landscapes, plants and wildlife are valued by the general public and contribute to a healthy environment. Damaging, disturbing or removing protected plants or animals can speed up rates of decline for some species and result in prosecution and fines for the offending company or individual.
Construction activities can impact on the environment in the following ways.
- Disturbing birds, bats, badgers and other protected species.
- Removing or damaging habitats through vegetation clearance.
- Disturbing aquatic wildlife and impacting on water quality.
- Disturbing wildlife through noise and vibration.
- Damaging trees and hedgerows.
Your employer should inform you about, and you should follow, all of the protection measures that are in place to protect plants and wildlife.