Projects can be categorised in the following ways.
- Licensed asbestos work.
- Notifiable non-licensed work.
- Non-licensed work.
The removal of high risk asbestos containing materials (such as sprayed asbestos, asbestos lagging and asbestos insulating board (AIB)) must be carried out by a licensed contractor.
The removal of low risk asbestos containing materials (such as asbestos cement products and vinyl floor tiles) would not normally need a licence, as long as the correct precautions are taken (such as wearing the correct personal protective and respiratory protective equipment). Training must be given to all employees undertaking this work.
- You understand and follow the written plan of work.
- You use the correct respiratory protective equipment (RPE) and personal protective equipment (PPE).
- You follow company procedures for the cleaning, maintenance and storage of your RPE and PPE.
- You maintain your RPE and PPE in a clean and efficient state, good order and repair.
- You use the washing and changing facilities provided.