You can’t see electricity. You can’t smell it. It is dangerous and it can kill.
- There is no visible way of knowing for sure if a cable or wires are live.
- All existing underground cables should be identified from surveys and locations checked with the use of a cable avoidance tool (CAT).
- The temporary nature of site electrical distribution systems and the possibility of them being damaged are all the more reason to be careful with electricity.
- If there are exposed cables or wires near where you are working, assume they are live, stop work and report them.
- Follow processes to obtain permits to work to confirm the disconnection of any live cables.
- The severity of any electric shock will be much lower.